By Neal Stephenson
This is "the Word" -- one man's be aware, definitely -- in regards to the artwork (and artifice) of the nation of our computer-centric life. And for the reason that the "one man" is Neal Stephenson, "the hacker Hemingway" (Newsweek) -- acclaimed novelist, pragmatist, seer, nerd-friendly thinker, and nationally bestselling writer of groundbreaking literary works (Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, etc., etc.) -- the notice is definitely worthy listening to. generally well-reasoned exam and partial rant, Stephenson's In the Beginning... was once the Command Line is a considerate, irreverent, hilarious treatise at the cyber-culture earlier and current; on working method tyrannies and downloaded renowned revolutions; on the web, Disney global, enormous Bangs, let alone the which means of lifestyles itself.
Read or Download In the Beginning...was the Command Line PDF
Similar technology books
The Encyclopedia of knowledge technological know-how and know-how is the 1st paintings to map this ever-changing box. it's the so much finished, research-based encyclopedia such as contributions from over 900 famous researchers in over 50 international locations. This five-volume encyclopedia contains greater than 550 articles highlighting present ideas, concerns and rising applied sciences.
The point of interest team is known to as a device for expanding the certainty of clients and their standards, and deciding on strength recommendations for those necessities. Its major price lies within the conveyance of much less tangible details that can not be bought utilizing extra conventional tools. Eliciting consumer wishes past the useful is important for powerful product and method improvement.
This article is worried with waveform generator concepts and circuits. Waveform turbines are utilized in so much kinds of digital apparatus and shape essentially the most general sessions of circuit. Timer/Generator Circuits guide is an 11-chapter textual content that bargains customarily with waveform generator innovations and circuits.
- Logistics Management: Products, Actors, Technology - Proceedings of the German Academic Association for Business Research, Bremen, 2013
- First Principles Of Mechanical And Engineering Drawing
- The Boy Who Could Change the World: The Writings of Aaron Swartz
- Macworld Superguide: MAC OS X Hints, Leopard Edition
- Machine Learning in Medicine
- A Handbook of Information Technology
Additional resources for In the Beginning...was the Command Line
Energy conversion processes. Exhaust E4 W2 X 10 El + E2 + Ex SOME FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES OF TECHNOLOGY 27 processes can be considered in the same general category as water falls and windmills. Figure 2-4 illustrates schematically some of the principles discussed above. In the upper illustration is shown a process in which raw material having an initial energy E 1 is prepared into fuel by the addition of processing energy E 2. The finished material, now having a theoretical energy content of E 1 + E 2 , is fed into an energy converter where WI units of useful work are obtained.
A basic law of thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; it can only be converted from one form to another. Figure 2-1 is a chart of the various commonly-made conversions. Mechanical work can be converted into electrical energy by means of an alternator, chemical energy into electrical by means of a battery, and optical energy into electrical by use of a photocell. It will be noted that some of the blocks in Fig. 2-1 are connected by oppositegoing arrows, indicating that the conversion process is easily reversed.
6. A brief description of the drawings. , "a front view of modification I;" "a cross section along the line A-A of the previous figure;" etc. 7. Detailed description. This is a statement of the construction and operation of the invention. The aim is to teach others in sufficient detail so that they may understand, be able to construct, and make use of the inventor's concept. This section also reveals the preferred embodiments of the invention. The inventor must choose these carefully; afterthoughts and later improvements are not admissable once the application has been sent into the Patent Office.