By Ruth Oldenziel, Karin Zachmann
Richard Nixon and Nikita Khrushchev's well-known "kitchen debate" in 1958 concerned greater than the virtues of yank home equipment. either Nixon and Khrushchev famous the political symbolism of the trendy kitchen; the type of technological innovation represented during this daily context spoke to the political procedure that produced it. The kitchen connects the "big" politics of politicians and statesmen to the "small" politics of clients and curiosity teams. chilly warfare Kitchen appears on the kitchen as fabric item and image, contemplating the politics and the practices of 1 of the main well-known technological icons of the 20 th century. Defining the kitchen as a posh technological artifact as vital as desktops, vehicles, and nuclear missiles, the e-book examines the ways that quite a number social actors in Europe formed the kitchen as either ideological build and fabric perform. those actors--from brands and modernist architects to housing reformers and feminists--constructed and domesticated the technological options of the postwar kitchen. the house grew to become a "mediation junction" during which girls clients and others felt loose to recommend manufacturers from the consumer's perspective. In essays illustrated by means of extraordinary interval pictures, the individuals to chilly warfare Kitchen think about such themes as Soviet consumers' ambivalent responses to the yank dream kitchen argued over via Nixon and Khrushchev; the Frankfurter Küche, a ecu modernist kitchen of the interwar interval (and its export to Turkey whilst its dressmaker fled the Nazis); and the British state-subsidized kitchen layout so leading edge that it used to be wrong for a luxurious American product. The concluding essays problem the acquired knowledge of prior interpretations of the kitchen debate.
Read or Download Cold War Kitchen: Americanization, Technology, and European Users (Inside Technology) PDF
Similar technology books
The Encyclopedia of knowledge technological know-how and know-how is the 1st paintings to map this ever-changing box. it's the such a lot accomplished, research-based encyclopedia along with contributions from over 900 famous researchers in over 50 nations. This five-volume encyclopedia comprises greater than 550 articles highlighting present ideas, matters and rising applied sciences.
The point of interest staff is wide-spread to as a device for expanding the certainty of clients and their standards, and choosing strength strategies for those standards. Its major worth lies within the conveyance of much less tangible info that can't be bought utilizing extra conventional tools. Eliciting consumer wishes past the practical is essential for potent product and method improvement.
This article is worried with waveform generator strategies and circuits. Waveform turbines are utilized in such a lot sorts of digital apparatus and shape probably the most regular sessions of circuit. Timer/Generator Circuits handbook is an 11-chapter textual content that bargains commonly with waveform generator options and circuits.
- Impact of Technology on Successful Aging (Springer Series on the Societal Impact on Aging)
- Next Generation of Information Technology in Educational Management: 10th IFIP WG 3.7 Conference, ITEM 2012, Bremen, Germany, August 5-8, 2012, Revised Selected Papers
- Functional polymers in food science : from technology to biology. Volume 1, Food packaging
- Berechnung und Gestaltung von Gummifedern
- Technology and the lifeworld: from garden to earth
- T Carrier Systems (T1 T2 and T3)
Additional resources for Cold War Kitchen: Americanization, Technology, and European Users (Inside Technology)
41 Germans marveled at a ‘‘completely automatic, mechanized wonder kitchen . . S.
3. For one of the ﬁrst historical but modernist inspired accounts on kitchens, see Sigfried Giedion, Mechanization Takes Command: A Contribution to Anonymous History (New York: Norton, 1948), pt. 6; see also Marling, ‘‘Nixon in Moscow,’’ As Seen on TV, 262 63. 4. Langdon Winner, The Whale and the Reactor: A Search for Limits in an Age of High Technology (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1986). 5. Gabrielle Hecht, The Radiance of France: Nuclear Power and National Identity after World War II (Cambridge: MIT Press, 1998), 15.
Presentations made by female conferees concerning ‘‘the working woman and the issues of interior architecture,’’ for example, proved to be thematically out of synch with the agenda of beauty and national tradition promoted by Ulbricht and other party functionaries and were never shared with the East German public. A report by the Dutch emigre´ designer Liv Falkenberg on new housing projects in the People’s Republic of Czechoslovakia noted the inclusion of built-in kitchen cabinets and storage units in every apartment, a point that challenged the prevailing argument that the East German government could not afford to provide these amenities in its postwar reconstruction program.