By Robert Osserman
Divided into 12 sections, this article explores parametric and nonparametric surfaces, surfaces that reduce zone, isothermal parameters on surfaces, Bernstein's theorem and lots more and plenty extra. Revised variation contains fabric on minimum surfaces in relativity and topology, and up-to-date paintings on Plateau's challenge and on isoperimetric inequalities. 1969 variation.
Read or Download A Survey of Minimal Surfaces (Dover Phoenix Editions) PDF
Similar differential geometry books
Noncommutative geometry, encouraged via quantum physics, describes singular areas via their noncommutative coordinate algebras and metric constructions via Dirac-like operators. Such metric geometries are defined mathematically by way of Connes' conception of spectral triples. those lectures, brought at an EMS summer season college on noncommutative geometry and its purposes, supply an outline of spectral triples in accordance with examples.
This can be a monograph on geometrical and topological good points which come up in a number of quantization systems. Quantization schemes think about the feasibility of arriving at a quantum procedure from a classical one and those contain 3 significant strategies viz. i) geometric quantization, ii) Klauder quantization, and iii) stochastic quanti zation.
From a historic viewpoint, the idea we undergo the current research has its origins within the well-known dissertation of P. Finsler from 1918 ([Fi]). In a the classical inspiration additionally traditional class, Finsler geometry has along with a couple of generalizations, which use an identical paintings process and that are thought of self-geometries: Lagrange and Hamilton areas.
This booklet develops the math of differential geometry in a much more intelligible to physicists and different scientists attracted to this box. This publication is largely divided into three degrees; point zero, the closest to instinct and geometrical event, is a brief precis of the speculation of curves and surfaces; point 1 repeats, reviews and develops upon the normal equipment of tensor algebra research and point 2 is an creation to the language of recent differential geometry.
- Connections, Curvature and Cohomology [Vol 3]
- Mathematical Masterpieces: Further Chronicles by the Explorers
- Invariants of Quadratic Differential Forms
- Introduction To Manifolds
- The Geometry of Total Curvature on Complete Open Surfaces
- The topology of fibre bundles
Extra info for A Survey of Minimal Surfaces (Dover Phoenix Editions)
However, if V2 is small enough so that V2 C A, then x(u) = x(u) on r, so that Xx will be a surface with the same boundary as E. The assumption that E minimizes area implies that A(A) > A(0) for all a, whence A'(0) = 0. 6), and the assertion is proved. Thus minimal surfaces arose originally in connection with minimizing area, and it is from this connection that they derived their name. However, as we shall see, they also arise naturally in a number of other connections, and many of their most important properties are totally unrelated to questions of area.
14) Now by Theorem S. 15) (k4 = -d, d= 1 + c2 We consider two cases. 16) a=0, b=+1. 16) implies 94 = ± i93 which is equivalent to f3 + if4 an analytic function of z or z . 14). 17) (q 3 + d, Thus, each of the factors on the left is different from zero. In particular, the function 3- ic4 is an entire function which never vanishes, and therefore is of the form 03-rc4 = eH(w) for some entire function 11(w). 18) 03 = 21- (e"'- de Hf'"1) , 04 = 2 (eH(w) + de-H(w)) We can thus describe explicitly in the case n = 4 all solutions of the minimal surface equation which are valid in the whole x1, x2plane.
10) I 10 0 . 3. Let x(u) define a regular minimal surface, with ul, u2 isothermal parameters. 10). 10) in a simply-connected domain D. 6) are valid. 2. 2. 10). 11), these functions determine the xk up to additive constants, and the surface is therefore determined up to a translation. 31 ISOTHERMAL PARAMETERS The preceding results are all based on the assumption that the surface can be represented locally in terms of isothermal parameters. However, the existence of such parameters is not at all obvious, and in the case of C1-surfaces it is not even always true.